Thursday, August 16, 2012

A familiar face...



A familiar face…
This is one of those things that I realize is so easy to take for 
granted back home. I feel like when I’m in MN familiar faces surround me and I’m able to connect with people I know and who know me whenever I need it; that’s not the case here. I realized last week how great it felt to be able to be surrounded by people who I know and who know me. To be able to talk about things we know and life in general was a blessing. 

Last week Tyler and Jeff came for the week, along with a few other guys, to work on the aquaponics fish farm. They worked extremely hard everyday under the scorching sun and were able to get a lot of it completed with the help of many other Haitian men. It was great to see them all working side by side. 

Although communication was limited, Tyler soon became good buds with them. Pretty much everyday now when I’m talking to some of the construction guys they ask about him and how he is. As you can see, he fit right in with the Haitian work ethic, almost the same skin color after the first day, but his work attire confirmed that he was still an American working in 100 degree weather. ;) Its still hard for me to imagine how the Haitians can wear jeans while working and some of them long sleeve shirts!

 


Of course he was a hit with the kids as well. Many of them have asked me about him this week too! Whenever he had a spare minute he’d run up to hangout with the kids and give them some loving!
 








Although the days were long, I cherished the evenings when I got to spend time with them (and eat delicious meals) at the guesthouse. It was good to laugh and just hang out with familiar people, even if it was just a few hours every night. Being that it was Tyler’s first time to Haiti with Healing Haiti, I realized how nice it was for me to be able to have him know where I’m at and what I’m doing everyday. It makes we excited to be able to share that with the other familiar faces in my life. J

                                                                                                                                                                              We were also able to get a quick water truck run to Cite Soile in while they were here. It was good to be able to go back there and love on the people there and to share that with those who had not been there before. It’s one of those places that makes your heart ache but yet it fills me with so much joy to love on the people there. 




 It’s still hard for me to imagine that they live like that and the guilt overwhelms me when I realize all that I am blessed with. Why them and not me? But I have to trust that God has a reason for that and allow HIM to use me and all that HE has blessed me with to bless others. I pray that I will not let my own will for my life get in the way of what HE wants to use me for.



I know it’s easy to do and I’m more guilty of it than anyone, but being here a little over a month I’ve realized how easy it is to take those relationships and those familiar faces for granted when you have access to them everyday. I know I was more conscious of it before I left but even then it’s easy to get carried away with the busyness of life and rush through or ignore those familiar faces.




Last week was a blessing and it was so great to be able to spend time with Tyler and Jeff, but having to say goodbye and letting the familiar faces go wasn’t easy and made me miss MN and some of those familiar faces and things, but I also have to keep in mind all that I am blessed with here. One of those being all the kiddos to love on me and fill me up when I need it most. J

I know that I will eventually have ‘new’ familiar faces here, but it takes time. Thank you for your continued prayers and support. You are all a blessing to me.
In Him.







No comments:

Post a Comment