Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stateside...

  Second stop Miami....next stop MN :) (actually I won't be able to post this until I get to Minnesota though. It's different entering Miami this time because I don't have a phone...I don't have access to call my friends and family and I don't have access to the Internet...it's actually kinda of nice and has given me time to reflect rather than to sit on Facebook ;) ) 

As I sit here in the Miami airport I find myself feeling like I'm in a completely different world. Upon entring the Miami airport and being greeted with glitz and glam and the opportunity to buy anything from water to fancy jewels I instantly found myself judging. Questioning people's way of life and what they were doing with their lives. Are they really 
making a difference; do they know or even care about what people are living like just 737 miles away--90 minutes away from them. I found myself getting angry at the lives these people--myself included--are living. I may be a missionary, 
but I'm still human and I still find myself falling back into ways of this world and wanting this and that...its a constant struggle. As I judge the peole around me and myself, I quickly brought myself back to the fact that its not my place to judge. People probably look at me and think the same thing. I don't know people's story, I don't know where people have come from, I don't know what their heart is or if they have a passion for the poor, the widowed, the broken, the children, the elderly...I don't know their story and I'm not here to judge. God didn't call me back from Haiti to judge, He called me back to continue to be His hands and His feet. He called me back to MN to share what I have seen, what I have witnessed, what I have touched, what I have smelled, what I have heard...to share with others about the people of a country so broken but who have touched my heart and broken my heart. 

Sitting here I find time to reflect. Taking the time to read my Jesus Calling devotion and just be. The hustle and bustle around me is just that: hustle and bustle. As I consider what this trip is about and how I am going to feel and all the 
emotions I am going to be going through, Sarah Young reminds me that I don't need to worry about the outcomes--I need to leave those up to God. All I am called to do is follow Him wherever He may lead me. I am called to live in the present. This thing we call life is an adventure, I am here to live it with Him as my guide and my constant provider and 
companion. 

I already know the ultimate destination of my life I have nothing to fear. But am I doing my part to bring others to that final destination with me? Will I live my life differently in the states and continue to be His hands and His feet or will sit back and let those opportunities pass me by. I'm not called to be His hands and His feet only in a country that is so poor and broken, but in a country that is rich and probably needs HIM even more than the people of Haiti do. 

My prayer upon retry is that I wouldnt get caught up in all the glitz and glam of this world, but I would surrender to Him and that I wouldn't be afraid to be His hands and His feet in this world of abundance.










2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this blog Jessica! I am finding myself doing the "judging" thing a lot this week as I re-enter from my Haiti trip. It is a good reminder to just keep my eyes focused on Him and what I can be doing for His people!

    I am only bummed that I didn't get to meet you last week in Haiti as you are the reason I ended up on a Healing Haiti trip. :)

    Hope you had a wonderful time with your family!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina,
      It would have been great to meet you too! My sister was showing me all your pictures on Facebook while I was in MN with her! Sounds like you had a great trip! Thank you for serving and your heart for the people of Haiti!
      Blessings,
      Jessica

      Delete